Joint Liturgical Group
of Great Britain
Selected Intercessions and Biddings
for Special Weeks and Sundays
Selected Prayers for Special Weeks and Sundays
- Sunday worship leaders while often wishing to make use of the prayer material offered by organisations designating a special Sunday sometimes find the amount of material provided begins to take over the service or the intercessions and consequently even the heart of what is before them may be unused.
- The prayer material below consists of a single paragraph which can be included in the Intercessions or Bidding Prayer without overwhelming other parts of the General Intercession.
- A few days or Sundays — such as the Christian Unity Octave, Christian Aid Week and the (Women’s) World Day of Prayer — are omitted from what follows because their acts of worship tend to be held outside the main act of Sunday worship.
- The origins and background material for many special days and designated weeks can usually be found on appropriate websites.
- As the list of organisations or causes now claiming a special week or Sunday is ever-increasing a considerable number of them have not been included.
The material is available in a number of formats to enable ease of use.
- Holocaust Memorial Day
- January 27
- As many in our communities mark Holocaust Memorial Day we remember before God the thousands of victims who perished under the years of Nazi atrocities. We pray for the survivors and their relatives and we pray for the eradication, in every place, of the evil and prejudice inflicted upon men, women and children because of their ethnicity, their beliefs or their sexual orientation.
- Poverty & Homeless Action Week
- From the last Sunday of January
- In this Poverty & Homeless Action Week we pray for the work of housing societies and poverty action groups working to combat misunderstandings about the causes of homelessness and poverty. We pray that permanent help will come to families and individuals to bring them hope and relief from debt and poverty.
- Education Sunday
- The Ninth Sunday before Easter
- On this Education Sunday we give thanks for schools, colleges, universities and training institutions. As we remember those who learn and those who teach we pray for all who support them in educational administration and through the work of school and college governors.
- Fairtrade Fortnight
- From the Last Monday of February
- In this Fairtrade Fortnight we pray for those who bring together consumers and retailers to promote Fairtrade products and for the success of those who campaign on issues of trade and justice.
- Not for Sale Sunday
- The Third Sunday of May
- On this day as we remember the evils of Sex Trafficking across Europe we pray that governments world-wide will resolve to end situations where vulnerable women, men and children are subject to abuse, sexual humiliation and violation.
- Refugee Week
- The Third Week of June
- As churches and communities mark Refugee Week we remember those driven from their homes, separated from their families and forced to live in another country. We pray that we may be among those who can lighten the burden of the dispossessed and provide new beginnings for the vulnerable refugees in our midst.
- Sea Sunday
- The Second Sunday of July
- Mission to Seafarers / Sea Sunday
- On this Sea Sunday we give thanks for the world-wide network of Maritime Mission Societies. We pray for the merchant seafarers of the world in the risks they take and the dangers they face for others. We ask for God’s blessing on the ministry offered to seafarers and their families by Port Chaplains.
- Slavery Memorial Day
- August 23
- As churches and countries mark Slavery Memorial Day we remember the world-wide call to repentance and reparation laid upon many consciences and cultures. We pray for the day when those of all races, and those of all faiths and of none, will be treated fairly and equally by everyone.
- Creation Time
- September 1 to October 4 or to the Second Sunday of October
- Churches Together in Britain and Ireland / European Christian Environmental Network
- During these days set aside as Creation Time we pray for those who bear responsibility for the protection of the earth’s resources. We pray for the promotion of sustainable lifestyles, for a greater reverence for the planet’s environment and for a proper response to the dangers ensuing from climate change.
- Racial Justice Sunday
- The Second Sunday of September
- On this Racial Justice Sunday we pray that we may value every person as our neighbour created in the image of the one God and Father and we pray for a breaking down of all barriers of discrimination.
- Disability Sunday
- The First Sunday of October
- On this Disability Sunday we remember those born with disability, those disabled by conflict, disease, age or accident and we pray that our churches and neighbourhoods may celebrate to the full the presence and contribution of each person in our community.
- World Mental Health Day
- October 10
- Mental Health Foundation / Mind
- As our churches and communities mark World Mental Health Day we bring before God those affected by depression, addiction, schizophrenia or dementia and we pray for those who work alongside them or minister to them.
- Healthcare Sunday
- The Sunday nearest to St Luke’s Day (October 18)
- On this Sunday close to St. Luke’s Day we remember those employed in our health services, the many nurses who work in residential homes and we pray for all doctors, health-care staff and hospital support teams who often work long and unsocial hours.
- One World Week
- A Sunday to Sunday Octave including the October 24
- In this One World Week we pray that people from diverse backgrounds will unite in their commitment to global justice, that political leaderships will re-examine their priorities and all will take action for justice locally, nationally and globally.
- International Day of Prayer for Persecuted Christians
- First Sunday of November
- As we give thanks for the saints and martyrs of the faith we remember our Christian sisters and brothers, who in their thousands, are even now facing violence, persecution, imprisonment and death because of their confession of Jesus Christ as Lord.
- Remembrance Sunday
- The Second Sunday of November
- On this day we remember all who suffer as a result of war including the injured and the disabled, the mentally distressed and those whose faith in God and humanity has been weakened or destroyed. We pray for the peace of the world and for those in power, that they may have wisdom to know and courage to do what is right. We pray for all who work to improve international relationships that they may be supported by those in authority.
- Prisons Week
- Usually the Third Week of November with Prisoners’ Sunday at the beginning of the week
- In this Prisons Week we remember the needs of prisoners and their families and all victims of crime. We pray for prison staff and all those who offer pastoral care. We pray that God’s love may be known both by those justly imprisoned and those whose freedom has been unjustly taken from them.
- World AIDS Day
- First Day of December
- As churches and world health organizations mark World AIDS Day we pray for a continuing awareness of the AIDS pandemic. We remember the many millions of men, women and children worldwide living with HIV. We pray for all who care for HIV sufferers and those involved in research to control and eradicate the virus.
- Human Rights Day
- December 10
- As the nations mark Human Rights Day we pray that governments worldwide will ensure their people have adequate health care, proper provision of food, clothing, housing and social welfare. We pray that all will be provided with the security of a basic income, the opportunity of a free education, and the guarantee of mutual respect of faith, freedom of speech and equal access to justice and the law.